The mission of Altered Tails is to provide accessible and affordable spay/neuter solutions for companion animals and free-roaming cats. Our vision is to eliminate euthanasia as a means of population control for companion animals and free-roaming cats. We are a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing high quality professional veterinary services and are committed to:
- Provide affordable spay/neuter service to owners who could not afford to do so otherwise.
- Offer affordable vaccines and other vital services to owners of companion pets and rescue organizations.
- Reduce the number of feral cats living in our communities through our Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) program.
- Help eliminate euthanasia as a form of population control.
Altered Tails is a grassroots organization with a rich history of providing high quality services at low cost for all residents of the Phoenix area.
- 1999 – AzCATs founded to assist community in Trap, Neuter & Return (TNR) of free-roaming/feral cats
- 2003 – Altered Tails incorporated to facilitate spay/neuter of companion animals and free-roaming cats through collaborations with local veterinarians
- 2006 – Altered Tails purchases mobile sterilization vehicle which traveled to different communities to provide affordable sterilization services
- 2007 – Bea and Dick Barnhart donated a building at 950 W Hatcher Road, to be the future site of the Altered Tails Barnhart Clinic
- 2009 – AzCATs and Altered Tails merged and Altered Tails Barnhart Clinic opened the doors of its new permanent facility on 11th Avenue and Hatcher.
- 2011 – Altered Tails became the first and only Humane Alliance Clinic in Arizona. Sterilization surgeries topped 8,000.
- 2012 – Altered Tails expands its services to two full time veterinarians.
- 2013 – Altered Tails expands its services with an additional location in the East Valley